jump.tf Forums
Welcome B)

Casuals plugin

tyjle · 24 · 5655

Poll

Casual's plugin a good thing for jumping, or bad?

good thing
bad thing
Not sure

tyjle

• Advanced
    • Frags: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Feel free to tell why below.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:08:20 AM by tyjle »

uNKnown

• Novice
  • Damn son..
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Sure it's good.
Casual said he's going to make it painfully obvious to detect. Hopefully people don't modify it or something.
I hope everyone's ready to analyze every jump video.

rip

ReMaXeD

• Intermediate
  • Serious poster
    • View Profile
Well, its the same route quake jumping went eventually so it's probably inevitable.   If the plugin is released, the only real hit I see this community taking is its elitist mentality.  It will make trick jumping basically effortless(which honestly I'm a bit apprehensive about) and far less skill-dependent.  In the end, I think tempus will become a placeholder for legitimate runs(and everything else will be moot).  Except maybe for some trusted individuals.

scofield

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Pretty sure nobody will ever trust any run outside Tempus, it's definitely a bad thing imo.

Grandpa

• Intermediate
  • youtube.com/allebwai | youtube.com/QuantumVTX
    • View Profile
Well, its the same route quake jumping went eventually so it's probably inevitable.   If the plugin is released, the only real hit I see this community taking is its elitist mentality.  It will make trick jumping basically effortless(which honestly I'm a bit apprehensive about) and far less skill-dependent.  In the end, I think tempus will become a placeholder for legitimate runs(and everything else will be moot).  Except maybe for some trusted individuals.

Im with ya romx.

I think its OK when you wanna do shit like "jump_soar TAS showcase" to show a flawless time or smth, or even make maps designed for TAS in mind, and maybe hold a small competition to find the best run. jump_tas, here we go.

scofield

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Im with ya romx.

I think its OK when you wanna do shit like "jump_soar TAS showcase" to show a flawless time or smth

But who knows if people will use it as a cheating method? I think people should stick to the cuts.

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Im with ya romx.

I think its OK when you wanna do shit like "jump_soar TAS showcase" to show a flawless time or smth

But who knows if people will use it as a cheating method? I think people should stick to the cuts.

I think it's inevitable that this will be used as a cheating method. Even if casual doesn't release the plugin people now know what can be done. There will be cheats.

Rip

Afterglow

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
bad, unless there's a fail-proof way to tell if a jump or run used casual's plugin.
The music is pumping, the dance floor is jumping.

Rob123

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
The issue is that these runs could potentially still happen on Tempus. Players with low ping and consistent net may be able to do runs with them. Prep the run on local or something then go to Tempus and do it first time. Or fail around for a bit to seem less obvious then do the run.

Seems like plugin would get released and it wouldn't be long before someone modifies it or takes inspiration from it to do their make their own thing. While this isn't exactly a new idea to most jumpers, having something available online may spur on other cheaters to make their own based on his.

EDIT: After thinking about it a bit more, the only way I can see this working well is if it is a server-side enhancement. This way we can have online servers dedicated to these runs, or players can setup their own local servers to do offline runs. People who want to use this tool are probably clever enough to do a simple server setup on a local machine.

If it is a client-side plugin, then I'd say it has to somehow be offline only, OR there needs to be some automatic way to detect and kick players doing these runs on online servers. Even if there is some ridiculously obvious giveaway at the start/middle/end of a run (showing that it is TAS), if it needs to be spotted and reported manually, this would be horrible for jumping. From my biased perspective of running Tempus, this basically means having to manually verify every single run that gets made. People won't only use TAS to make perfect, WR-breaking runs, they will use it as well to make top-10 or even just PR beating times.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:10:58 PM by Rob123 »

Grandpa

• Intermediate
  • youtube.com/allebwai | youtube.com/QuantumVTX
    • View Profile
Im with ya romx.

Thats why i worded it as "jump_soar TAS showcase" - Put that shit in the title, and maybe something in the description to tell everyone its not a real run, but a bot doing it.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
Even if he releases a version of it where it's obvious the individual used a TAS, once it's out, I'm sure people would be able to remove the "HEY THIS PERSON USED A TAS" part, and make runs look legit. Bad IMO...either way, we can't decide what Casual does with it...it's up to him to decide because he's the one holding it, not us.
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

Gorge004

• Proficient
    • View Profile
TAS might be new to TF2, but it isn't new in the speedrunning community. A lot of game have TAS run of them, and I've never heard of issue of people trying to pass tas as legit run. There must be a way to make a TAS cheater proof, otherwise speedrunning would be dead on every game, because, like everyone said, there would be too much cheaters..

I think TAS is a very good idea, if Casual's plugin is done right :)

obsidiian

• Administrator
  • Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Right now I'm kind of leaning towards making it exclusive to TAS dedicated servers as a plugin and then giving it to a couple trusted people.  However, if there were a way to make it painfully obvious that TAS aren't normal runs, I think it would be safe to give it to anybody.  And if it were possible to prevent online use of the tool, that would also be very helpful.  On top of this, I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions about what can be done with the tool before they even know how it works.  Either way, the plugin/tool or whatever you want to call it will not be released to the public no matter what until Beginnings 2 is over, to eliminate the possibility of TAS submissions almost entirely.  Whether or not it will be public afterwards is still being decided.

moon_

• View Profile
Plz dont hurt me if I sound like a idiot but maybe casual could somehow work in something that distictly shows that its a TAS run, like maybe your rockets are shot in different colors, or maybe some sort of analyzer that is open to public that can analyze the demo and could tell if the run is a TAS run or not.

Im no coding genius but just my insight  :D

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
We were discussing that, and that would be good of course. But this is the internet,many there are, unlike you, coding geniuses who could just remove whatever gives it away out.