Welcome B)

us servers

Melon · 19 · 2495

Melon

• Proficient
    • Frags: +0/-0
  • cool cats club
    • View Profile
to preface this post i seriously dont want to come off sounding like a dick. i really appreciate the fact that glow spends his money and time to give us some free entertainment, and i wont forget that no matter what.

however, i must respectfully mention what has been going on lately in the us east advanced server. the lag (join and leave and also random) has become unbearable, to a point where trying for runs is almost pointless during heavy traffic hours (after school to really late) because someone will always join or leave. aside from that, the server will lag randomly and almost always ultimately crash. its honestly not fun to jump on tempus east anymore because of this. im not really sure what could be done for this other than switching or upgrading servers and since thats not within my power to do i really have nothing to say other than i hope glow or AI can help resolve this. a huge part of the jumping experience comes from online interaction and competition and i dont want to lose that aspect of the fun.

Zike

• Proficient
    • Frags: +1/-0
    • View Profile
coincidentally shortly after melon posted this the server died

jayess

• Novice
    • View Profile
Hey Melon, thanks for the thoughtfully worded post. I believe the server crashes are related to memory usage. We deployed a change a day or two ago thanks to the Source.Python team which fixes a couple of memory leaks. Chances are the crashes won't happen anymore, but we'll see.

The connect/disconnect lag has been plaguing all servers sadly, though it might be worse on East servers? We haven't been making any headway on debugging it, so we're going to try put together a test to get some more concrete info on the issue using a plugin to track server freezes.

coincidentally shortly after melon posted this the server died

Looks like this was a router issue on NFOServers' end and is now resolved:

Our router in Chicago stopped responding properly following some software adjustments that we made to it which should not have caused an issue. We are currently investigating and will be rebooting it.

Exile

• Administrator
  • Advanced
    • Frags: +9/-0
  • fhhh
    • View Profile
todays lag was the worst ive experienced, jumping in general feels really bad on tempus no offense

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Pls Fix because we need good online jumping if we have TAS released imo.

catfoosh

• Proficient
  • brock is a weeb
    • View Profile
I really doubt join lag will be fixed for a long time.

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
  • :}
    • View Profile
I really doubt join lag will be fixed for a long time.
he said its fixed.....also i heard EU doesnt get join lag
5:01 PM - john | jump.tf: 👌

Rob123

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
So we've found a way to properly measure the lag, i.e. how much the server freezes. We have found that US Adv East suffers significantly worse than the others, with hiccups of about 1-3 seconds. For comparion, any hiccups on the other servers are generally 0.2-0.3 seconds and much rarer.

Given that we have now established identical 'containers' the Tempus runs in, this most likely means the issue is related to the host. Potentially performance of the hardware or resource sharing. Weird thing is all four US servers use the same host, so we'd expect same performance there.

Either way we're trying our best to figure out what's going on here, and will move host if we have to. Apologies for what is a pretty poor online experience for the US guys atm.

tyjle

• Advanced
    • View Profile
Thanks for trying so hard to get this fixed!

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • Frags: +421/-69
    • View Profile
hiccups for 20 seconds boys

edit: rip east

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
yeah east started small, and progressively got worse over time. Sometimes it's unbearable to play on...I mean you guys said it was fixed, haven't been there in a while so IDK but you know

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • View Profile
yeah east started small, and progressively got worse over time. Sometimes it's unbearable to play on...I mean you guys said it was fixed, haven't been there in a while so IDK but you know

??? where does it say they fixed server lag on connect/disconnect bc all i see is that the server dropping connections is fixed

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
jayess didnt he? O_O

i can vouch for it still being a problem as of now tho. east beginner does it just as bad too. both east servers do.

John

• video games
  • Novice
    • View Profile
jayess didnt he? O_O

i can vouch for it still being a problem as of now tho. east beginner does it just as bad too. both east servers do.

jayess said crashes were fixed, never said anything about fixing join lag (in fact he even said he's implementing tests to figure out why join lag happens)

Vexon

• needs to stop posting
    • View Profile
jayess didnt he? O_O

jayess said crashes were fixed, never said anything about fixing join lag (in fact he even said he's implementing tests to figure out why join lag happens)

Well it lagged out and crashed today. If that's worth noting :P